Saturday, 23 February 2008

OKay so I didnt make it back here last night to tell all about Liams last day at kindy. I ended up going down to my sisters for the night and we had a dvd night. So just back tracking a bit to Thursday; Liams practise day at school. The plan for the day was to have practise day which was 9-11.10, then go inot town and get a present for kindy and then come home get some baking done for the kindy teachers then once the boys were in bed I was going to wrap everything up and ready to put into the car in the morning. Well so much for plans cause this one went right out the window.

The practise day was all good, Liam sat with the kids for the mat time to do the day and weather then they went out and did some fitness. He drew a picture and wrote his name and then the teacher helped him with writing a story. Then the class went out to do swimming. I didnt think Liam would be keen but he was so I went home to get his togs. I told the ladies that were taking swimming that he has really never had any swimming experience and she said to me in front of Liam thats fine he can just sit on the edge of the pool and watch, and then asked me to sit back down away from Liam. Next thing I know she is putting Liam into the pool and OMG he was screaming blue murder it was horrible. And at the time I felt okay they must know what they are doing the are swimming instructors after all and this is there job. And they said we are not hurting him there is no reason for him to be crying and I felt like I was the only one who could see this as being cruel and put him off swimming for good. And if you know me I cry at the drop of a hat, and to see Liam in this state of shock and fear brought me to tears; and there was nothing I could do. And it got me thinking could/should I have done something, were they right that there was no reason for him to be so upset. And then my mind works overtime and I put doubt onto myself as my role as their mother, am I doing all I can for them, should I be taking them to after school activities. All afternoon Liam kept saying that he doesnt want to do swimming at school next week, that he wanted me to go into the pool with him and that he was scared.

After buying present for kindy I got started on some baking. Ran out of butter so went to sleep out to get some from the big freezer only to find that there was no power in the sleep out and that my 1/4 full freezer full of food had all defrosted and was off. So then rang up landlord to get that sorted but nothing would be done till Friday. Got more butter and the boys sorted and into bed went to do more baking but everything I wanted to bake there was one ingredient that I didnt have so I just gave up in the end and decided that maybe I wasnt meant to get up on Thursday cause it turned out to be one of those days that you want to end but it just keeps going and goes from bad to worse.

Friday Liam all keen that its his last day at kindy and happy that I was staying all day.The first couple of hours he hang around me a bit but then he went of and played with his friends.

And he was quite chatty for his farewell too. I thought he would just sit there but he did a bit of talking so it was good. And then when it was time to do his song choice he choose cool cats and did his bit then sat down on the chair and watched everyone else started waving at myself and Donna(his ESW who was video recording for me so I could take photos.

So all in all it was great day on Friday and his teacher loved her altered book.

Friday night once the boys were at their dads I felt a bit down that Lliam was off to school and there was no more kindy for him so I went down to my sisters for a dvd night.

This morning I cleanned out the freezer after getting power back on down there and getting rid of the meat, now I jsut need to build up my meat supply again. It was somewhat depressing throwing out big black rubbish bag full of non meat items-bread, butter, frozen veges, iceblocks icecream and it was bout 1 and a half black rubbish bag full of meat.

So now I might go and get some scrapbooking done, I think I will have a go at the Friday Night Challenge over on SE.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I just posted on my blog about swimming (Ethan loves the water but can't swim). I was wondering if I should have forced Ethan to take lessons when he hasn't wanted to. I've been letting him try and learn at his own pace. But I went to watch his class swimming on Thursday and MOST of them can swim - they are only 5-6 years old.

I have no idea what I would have done in your situation. I probably would have said something and taken him out of the pool but then I am quite outspoken at times, LOL! Personally I think it's a bit much for them to expect Liam to participate fully, it was only a school visit and it's all new for him. Perhaps they thought once he was in the water he'd really enjoy it? But I think you are right about it not being a good idea to upset him and now have him not want to go to school because he's scared of swimming.
Perhaps have a chat to his teacher on Monday and explain how you feel about it. If you think Liam will settle into school easier if he didn't have to worry about swimming for a week or so, then ask if he can be exempt until he's settled. Ultimately it should be your call.

So sorry to hear about your freezer and having to throw food away. Can it be covered by insurance?

Mrs Frizz said...

Not good on the freezer front - goods that are supposed to be frozen should stay frozen ... let's hope that the landlord gets the problem fixed, quick smart.

Not good either on the swimming front for Liam ... poor wee man.

Vicki said...

I'm with Hannah on this one. Where was the teacher? I would be having a quiet word to her about it especially seeing as it was only a visit. Hopefully it hasn't put him off school but not the best of starts is it?

Definitely check on the insurance for your freezer contents. (Used to work for an insurance company)