Friday, 2 May 2008

Bits and pieces update

This is a layout I did last night. Photos are Steven and I think it was not long after he started school so it would have been the beginning of 2006. He was so excited and keen to have aride on the horse and waited in line for about 10minutes but then when it was his turn he changed his mind and was not keen at all but I got him on the horse anyway because he may have changed his mind once he was up there but as you can see from the photos he didn't,LOL.

Well the cold winter days are on their way and we have had the fire on. Last night after bath time Liam said to me that he wants to sit by the fire so he could be nice and toasty, who needs a cat to hog the fire place,LOL.

I'm not the person who can sit and read a book cover to cover but I have enjoyed this book for the last few days. A friend like Henry - this is the inspiring account of a family's struggle to break into their son's autistic world-and how a dog made the real difference. I'm over half way through the book now and it truely is amazing how this dog Henry changed their son Dale.
One part of the story which had me in tears (having been there with Steven and hearing these words for the first time)was when the mother was saying goodnight to Dale:
As I opened the bedroom door wider, Dale repeated softly,'Mummy, Dale loves his dog.'
'Yes, that's good', I replied, still trying to leave. Then I stopped dead in my tracks as his next words hit me.
'And Dale loves his mummy.'
Just five little words, yet I was numb, paralysed with shock. Then somehow my brain started to function again, although my heart was pounding - I desperately didn't want to get this wrong. I turned round and knelt down beside Dale's bed, where I gave him a cautious and gentle hug, telling him,'Mummy loves you, too. And Daddy loves you. Goodnight, Dale.'
His sweet, small voice replied,'And Dale loves Daddy.' I kissed him on the head, quietly left the room and wept copious, silent tears.

From memory Dale was about 7 when he told his mum that he loved her, such a long wait to hear words that we all often hear alot sooner than that. I cant remember when Steven first said he loved me but when he said it for the first time I felt just as Dales mum did. These days I'm only allowed to tell Steven that I love him when its bed time and I'm saying good night, if i tell him during the day he tells me not to say that and gets very upset. And its just part of his autism and that need for routine I guess. Some things are easy to slowly change but some things hes set in his way and there is no way he will allow them to change, but I'm so very grateful that I have Steven and I do realise things could have been worse. I remember my gran always saying to me that there is someone worse of than yourself, so when you are at your lowest remember someone is dealing with alot more than yourself. And while I'm sure this is very true, it didn't really help to fix what I was dealing with when I was at my lowest. But now I just think when we are in a bad patch that it can only get better ah?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liam does look nice and "toasty" by the fire! We may have to start using ours soon.

That book sounds like a really uplifting story, I am glad you enjoyed it. I cried when I read the excerpt ... even though I don't know what it's like to have an autistic child, it touched me.

Trace said...

Mmmm nothing quite like hogging the fire place when you've jumped straight out of the bath! I love how you used the file on the riding layout - cool idea. I've read lots of books written by parents who have children with autism, but not that one, so I shall be off to the library and do a hunt for it.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a really interesting book. Thanks for sharing.

Am really feeling the cold today and we have the heat pump on but theres nothing like a fire.

Anonymous said...

nothing beats a hot bath and then settling in by the fire place, he looks as snug as a bug there. The book sounds interesting and I will have to write that one down to go find. Love ya layout and like Trace said the file folder looks great. It's a good way to stor your journalling.